Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,894
Re: Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.
In reply to VirtualMirage, Apr 11, 2013

I did read your whole post and I understand (at least I think I do).  The point that I was trying to make was that while I'm sure your data is accurate or at least accurate enough for your conclusion to be correct, I don't find that to be how it works in practice very often.  For me at least I'm either shooting on a tripod, shooting in A mode and have room to move shutter speed down with no adverse effects, or shooting in situations where shallower DoF is preferred.  This probably covers at least 85% of what I do.  The other 15% would potentially benefit from the scenarios that you show in your comparison resulting in the diminished advantage of FF.  I'm sure many others would have a very different percentage based on their typical use, and if so, they may find that APS-C is a better fit for their needs.

IMO, your comparison is most helpful when you know or at least have an idea how it would impact you.  It would be great if there was a tool that allowed the user to select the scenario that fit how they were going to use the camera and then showed how that would impact sensor performance between FF and APS-C.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow