Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 4,967
Like?
Re: Return of Interesting article on DxO about 5D III and D800...
In reply to aftab, Apr 11, 2013

aftab wrote:

schmegg wrote:

aftab wrote:

......... We can say A has higher resolution. Or we can say A is sharper. Same thing.

If you wish to change the definition of resolution to merely mean how sharp something appears, then I'd agree with everything you've said here.

Otherwise - no - not the same thing.

Disclaimer: I may change my mind tomorrow morning, I am drinking wine at the moment. Australian Penfolds red wines are really nice.

My experience is that a good red will make things appear much simpler than they might actually be.

PS - I'm having a red too at the moment.

Red is gold.

Hehe. With you there brother.

Glad you're enjoying the Penfolds. Have you tried the Grange? You haven't lived till you had a Grange.

(OK - slight exaggeration there - but it's damn fine!)

Einstein said, we should make things simple, but not simpler. Maybe I did make it simpler. Yeah, when I said, it is the same thing, it is not true for scenario A. Definitions or concepts that these two entities are different work for scenario A. But scenario A is totally theoretical. It helps us to understand the concept, but that's not how we take pictures or process them. Our pictures are more like scenario B or C and that's where two concepts overlap and become indistinguishable.

Yeah - true enough.

That's what DxO have attempted (I think) to incorporate with their PMpix measurement. The very real concept that sharpness appears as resolution, even though it's not. And it's very possible to have an image that actually contains less real detail but still appears to have more detail, simply due to it being sharper.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow