Panasonic GX1 or E-PL2?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GX1 or E-PL2?
In reply to BobT, Apr 11, 2013

If you have any interest in video at all, the GX1 is a excellent choice.  There is even a hack for the Panasonic GX1 (similar to the GH2 Hack).  It will increase the bit-rate which in turn will give you clearer, more artifact free video.

For stills, I don't think there is enough of a jump IQ wise, however, to warrant a change in body. The GX1 has slightly better high ISO ability and the EPL2 has superior color depth, if you go by DxOMark Sensor Ratings.  Both have fairly average to mediocre DR performance, but unless you spend a lot of time post processing of RAW files (i.e., pushing shadows or pulling highlight, tweaking files), I don't think the DR performance of either body will matter all that much in day to day shooting.

I am a fan of the GX1 and it is a great time to buy one as they are discounted quite heavily.  But buying "Body Only" kits is not the way to go.  You'll get a much better deal if you find a GX1 with 14-42 PZ X.  I've seen GX1 / 14-42 PZ X Vario kits on Ebay, brand new in the box for $475.  Now that's a great deal considering the lens sells for around $325 new, and the GX1 / 14-42 PZ X kit is currently listed on B&H for $699.

All that said, if you are looking for a dramatic increase in IQ over your E-PL2, you should consider getting either a G5 (which has the advantage of a nice quality EVF built in) or an Olympus E-PM2 or E-PL5.  Both the G5 and EPM2 have some very real improvements IQ-wise with superior DR vs the GX1 / E-PL5.

Good luck and happy shooting, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow