Photographing a Person: A test of focal lengths

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
OK, So which one is it then??? Re: Photographing a Person: A test of focal lengths
In reply to richj20, Apr 11, 2013

richj20 wrote:

In another thread, I posted photographs of people taken at different focal lengths. I thought it would be useful to do a test with the same person at different focal lengths, so I enlisted the help of my neighbor.

The test wasn't as controlled as I would have liked: he changed is head angle slightly a few times, but I think an overall impression can be gotten.

(I'd like to get a manequin and do a similar test!)

Also, I moved his location when the sun became harsh on the face.

I positioned the tripod to frame approximately a head-shoulders pose, and moved back accordingly as I changed focal lengths from 12mm (a little less than 2 feet from lens to face) to 150mm (about 14 feet from lens to face).

Here they are -- focal lengths in m4/3 format, so double them to get full frame equivalent.

- Richard

12mm

14mm

17mm

25mm

35mm

45mm

76mm

100mm

150mm

-- hide signature --

"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

Thanks for this comparision.

But which one is it; which is the shot that is an accurate representation of what this guy looks like?

I can can see subtle variations in his facial proportions from all shots starting at 25mm.

Knowing which one is THE shot, will be VERY helpful in determining what focal length to use either to avoid or implement a particular effect.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

plevyadophy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow