How good is the X100S?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047
Like?
Re: How good is the X100S?
In reply to sgoldswo, Apr 11, 2013

I do agree about the results not living up to expectations - especially due to the AF doggedly latching on to the wrong bit of the scene. Very frustrating, which is why I stick to MF and the AFL button on my X100.

The X100s is more responsive, the EVF is clearer, you don't have to switch to macro to focus on people nearby, and using the manual focus ring on the lens is way better.

However, the lens is exactly the same, and I find I prefer the subtlety of the X100 sensor. Most of all, I find the AF on the X100s, even with phase detect pixels, was still capable of latching on to the background even though the subject pretty much filled the sensor box. That destroyed my confidence in the AF, so I am sticking with my X100.

I am not saying that the X100s is a bad camera - just that the AF is not as fixed as it might be. I would also suggest that Fuji consider implementing face detection - it's already built in to the replay mode - and maybe even focus peaking within the AF box (which would alert you that it was locking on to the wrong bit).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow