low light shot of Sony NEX-6 vs Fuji X100

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
Re: low light shot of Sony NEX-6 vs Fuji X100
In reply to Pete peterson, Apr 11, 2013

Pete peterson wrote:

I did some test shots at home under florescent light. I don't know if the test was fair though because of the fuji prime lens. Perhaps I need a prime lens on the Sony to make it fair.

Please feel free to add low light indoors shots of Sony NEX 6 with a prime lens if you have any.

I will add low light outdoor shots as well when it stops raining in this country!

If it can be considered a fair test, I think the Fuji X100 wins hands down.

PS: The Fuji's EVF under this light was far superior to the NEX-6, despite the sony's 1 million extra pixels in the EVF. The sony's is crispier in bright light but it suffers from some kind of shimmer, for want of a better word,  where as the Fuji EVF is stable.

fuji X100

nex-6 handheld

Interesting and flattering to the Fuji.

I don't know what mode you are using on each camera for the test (P, A, S, M?).

The NEX is underexposing compared to the Fuji, although none of the shots are directly comparable apart from the 2 shown above. In this case, the NEX is set to ISO200, the Fuji at ISO400 and apertures also vary hugely (f/2 for the Fuji compared to f/4.5 for the NEX thereby showing the superiority of the faster prime).

For a 'real' comparison, try using M mode and setting each camera to the same ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

Also, bear in mind that many cameras under-report actual ISO values thereby making the low light performance seem to be superior.

It does seem that the Fuji may be easier to achieve good results in low light and the NEX possibly needs a bit more user input.

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow