Will Nikon add VR to the 17-55 2.8 dx ever?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
pdxflint
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Re: Will Nikon add VR to the 17-55 2.8 dx ever?
In reply to Adventsam, Apr 11, 2013

Honestly doesn't need it. I've used this (17-55) lens for over four years. It's a tool, it does it's job well, and Nikon likely won't be making pro lenses in DX in the future anyway, from the looks of it. I think too many people are becoming dependent on VR, but with good technique on a wide-normal lens it isn't necessary and would add to the complexity of the lens and require a complete redesign, perhaps losing something in the IQ quality along the way. I love this lens, as is, for many different reasons, but for more casual use, the kit lens (18-55) with VR might be more up some people's alley. It's cheap (about 7 times cheaper,) sharp, very lightweight, and can produce some very decent images if you can live with the compromises vs. the savings. If Nikon did update the 17-55 f/2.8 with nano coatings and VR, it would probably be closer to $2 grand. Then ask yourself how many people today will spend that kind of coin for a lens, regardless of how good it was, if it's limited to DX bodies? And if they made it FX, would 17-55 even be realistic (even more expensive) when there is a 17-35 f/2.8, a 16-35 f/4, a 14-24 f/2.8, not to mention a 24-70 f/2.8 already in the lineup?

pdxflint's gear list:pdxflint's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow