Tripod research is testing my sanity, advice please

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Questions thread
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807Gear list
Like?
I think you would benefit from spending a little more
In reply to nuschu, Apr 11, 2013

Without getting into Gitzo price territory, I think you could do better.

For a little more than the Manfrotto legs the Feisol ct3442 rapid is a lot lighter and is more compact folded. It does this by doing away with the centre column (available as an optional extra). I've been surprised at how I've yet to miss the flexibility of a centre column, and I find the ct3442 quite tall enough for comfortable use (I'm 5' 10").

The Feisol legs add another $50 to your budget, but I think where you're really going to notice the benefit is with an Arca-Swiss system ballhead. With a custom plate for your DSLR, you'll get a more solid connection between the ballhead and camera than with Manfrotto's system.

I use a ballhead from Photoclam which is excellent, but a little too small for your needs. Both the Markins M10 and Feisols own CB40 ballhead get excellent reviews for their respective price points. Unfortunately the Markins will take you quite a bit over your budget, but google around for a few more opinions and I think you might be persuaded.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow