a57 v d5100 for first DSLR

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Questions thread
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188Gear list
Like?
Re: a57 v d5100 for first DSLR
In reply to baloo_buc, Apr 11, 2013

baloo_buc wrote:

We understand it. That's why you bought it. That doesn't make it the best thing since sliced bread.

No it doesn't, but the OP was asking for opinions on which is better and why.  I think the previous poster looked at what each offered and made a decision based on that.  He, myself and others see the A57 as offering as good of IQ at lower ISOs and IQ that's not too far off at higher ISOs.  But the A57 offers many other useful features not found in the low end Nikon cameras.

With the Sony you get:

1080/60p/24p vs 1080/30p/24p
Fast AF in Video vs None
Stereo Mics vs Mono Mic
15 Point AF vs 11 Pt AF
Faster AF vs Slower AF (See charts below - and yes, I've tested both of these cameras and found the results to be the same)
12/10 FPS vs 4fps
Wireles Flash Commander vs None
High Speed Flash Snyc vs None
Peaking Focus vs None
Kelvin WB Adjustment vs None
HDR vs None
Sweep Panorama vs None
Lens Correction for CAs, Distortion, Vignetting vs CAs and Distortion only
IBIS (Every lens Stabilized) vs Lens Based
100%/1.04x EVF vs 95%/.78x OVF

According to DPR (see chart at the bottom)
RAW IQ is equal and JPEG IQ is too close to really see any difference.

Yes the Nikon has better high ISO performance, but High ISO performance isn't everything.

I've owned Nikon (and I loved it), I had Canon (and didn't like it), I now shoot Sony and love shooting with it, same as when I had my Nikon - but now I have more features and options available to me.  Does that make me a "fanboy", no just an educated and experienced buyer.

Both cameras take great pictures in capable hands.  So given that, (and that there are tons of lenses for each - 85+ for Sony [Not including older Minolta lenses], 100+ for Nikon), I'll choose the camera with more features.

From Popular Photography's test of the A55

From Popular Photography's Test of the D5100

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow