Mid life crisis- Maybe not but close

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dtorion1970
dtorion1970 New Member • Posts: 10
Mid life crisis- Maybe not but close

I’m Stumped, I’m upgrading to DSLR’s and in looking at all the options out there I think I have become stupid.  My 3 choices after looking at everything is as fallows:

Canon T4i with the Can/18-135 and 50 1.4 with the Tammy 70-300DiVCUSD- reasons are the touch screen, able to view AF changes live and good beginner camera and has decent video capabilities

Pentax K5 iis with Pen 18-135, 55-300 and the 50 1.4- reasons are the build quality of Pentax along with the fact that the photographs taken with this system are well balanced.  Just a great camera for a great price and weather is an issue I will grow into.

Nikon D7100 with the Nik 18-105 and 50 1.4, again with the Tammy 70-300- reason are that I like the 24 MP sensor (even though it’s new to Nikon), has a “prosumer” type body like the Pentax and a larger following behind the product.

My quandary is what system I should jump in bed with?  I love the effort Pentax puts into their camera bodies. They give us what every camera at this price range should have.  I think by far the Pentax line at this price point is the best value, period.  I like the ease of use with the Canon and since this is my first jaunt into the DSLR world should I aim low and use the live AF and touch screen to familiarize myself first and then in 3 or 4 years upgrade, but then would I feel stuck with Canon (which I believe is overpriced for what they offer in build quality). Finally, Nikon is almost there with Pentax as far as build quality and value; however, it’s just not. Not to mention I am not at all familiar with the Nikon brand (have shot both Canon and Pentax film/ P&S).

Am I overshooting with the Nikon/Pentax to begin with? Should I just get the T4i to help me learn and upgrade later and would I be happy with the cheap feel/ body construction as I like to feel something solidly built when I’m spending that kind of money on it.

You see….. I feel like I’m trying to decide if I want to take the risk of asking out the A-lister for a night on the town and fear of getting rejected. Give me your thoughts please

Thank you in advance

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Footski MOD
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow