Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,013
Like?
Re: On DOF
In reply to olliess, Apr 11, 2013

olliess wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

.....At 5.6 and iso 6400 and 1/50 on the FF, I can be at 1.4, iso 1600 and 1/100.

[...]

I corrected my error, to get 1/100 with that FF in that example you would be at iso 25600 not 12800 and it would still not be hand holdable for many at that shutter speed....now you are at iso 51200 and 1/200....still not safe for a lot.   The Q is quite ok at iso 1600 and I would go higher if i needed to.   The other part of my argument is that it is a camera by camera case....a lot of FF cameras do well at high iso, some less so.

The much smaller 85 on the Q can easily be hand held at 1/100

The DxO scores suggest that ISO 1600 is about 3 stops past the expiration date for the Q (ISO 189), a similar situation to the Nikon D4/Canon 5DIII in the ISO 12800-25600 neighborhood, which is to say not very good. The 480 mm equivalent focal length with a relatively short lens and tiny body, no IS, at 1/100s... well you must have very steady hands compared to me.

So, I'm intrigued. If you don't mind, would you post some image samples from the Pentax Q at those settings?

Hi

I can not post on forums (old computer) but I have a few samples on Flickr.

The Shannon Noll pic was at 1600 ...is resized but the full size photo is ok (I sent one of the pics from the show to the local paper who have used some of my shots before just in case their photog was not there for the show...he was and the photos used from full frame and (i think 200 2.8) are pretty similar to this but I was from a bit further back.....night time in a crowd.

I could not get close enough for my 50 1.2 on apsc that i normally use for concerts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26884588@N00/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow