Veteran MemberPosts: 7,140Gear list
Like?
Re: [viking79] feel free to disagree with Cheating Software Correction
In reply to 007peter, Apr 11, 2013

007peter wrote:

Off course Software Correction is cheating.  Because we are comparing a:

• Non-Software Corrected Sigma 19 vs
  • a Software Corrected Sony 20

If the 20 is always intended to be used with the correction, then it's not cheating.  It would be cheating if you did a comparison without software correction!  (Goes double for the 16-50....)

A better design fair test would be like these:

• A software corrected Sigma 19 vs
  • a software corrected Sony 20 or even

This would be fine.  Perhaps you always use a RAW editor that performs software correction.  For myself, this might even be the preferred test, but I'm not sure it fits the usage patterns of most people.

• a non-software corrected Sigma 19 vs
  • a non-software corrected Sony 20

As above -- This puts the 20 at a disadvantage, assuming it was designed to always use software correction.

the problem here is that if I go by your [viking79] reasoning, I might as well claim that my

• $300 Canon 17-85 software corrected via PTlens is
  • Much Sharper than any $1200 Canon 17-55

No, the reasoning is, if the $300 lens, through software correction, looked as good (or better!) as the $1200 lens, then that's a good thing.  Of course, in-camera sharpening is not going to make one lens sharper than another, particularly when you could add sharpening to it as well.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow