Like?
Re: On DOF
In reply to olliess, Apr 11, 2013

olliess wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

olliess wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

So why are you arguing about this?

I would rather not but you dragged the argument into it.

Actually it seems the point of argument is a moving target. If you agree that there is no meaningful difference between cropping in camera and "digitally" in post, then we can simply move on.

No, I specifically asked, would you prefer cropping over optical reach?

And the answer is, sometimes. As I said, I might like to make the final decision at a later time, and having some room to crop gives me the option.

What you're not getting is that by going too shallow, you may actually end up blending the subject more than you manage to isolate it...even on my APS-C, at 50mm, I end up using f/4 simply for the purpose of getting my subject properly in focus.

That is your choice.

I gave a list of objective things that could be accomplished using a faster aperture, without any subjective judgment about whether it is "best" or not to use the faster aperture in any given case.

That is irrelevant, as your argument applies to all sensor sizes. This is why I expect a more objective, more specific response than a generic one.

There is no "objective" answer to what works "best" in all situations. There is are only objective facts about what choices are available.

One more time, do you always shoot with lens wide open? If not, why not?

No, nor would I want to. Is this relevant to something we have talked about?

I can see an insignificant advantage but larger cost and size of going with larger aperture, but if that is the thread you want to hang your hat on, for FF sensor, well, you have that choice.

But even this is not always the case. The Sony 35mm f/1.8 E-mount lens is about 6mm shorter than the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G, but sells for more than twice the price, despite the fact that the Nikkor provides more than 1 stop advantage in light gathering and DOF control.

I have a Sony 35mm f/1.8 purchased for $165. So, you would rather discuss pricing now? Or, should I try to learn from you that pricing of a lens is determined by its length etc?

You are changing the target once again. Your claim was the cost and size penalty for a larger aperture FF lens. My response was that FF lenses are readily available which have similar size and half the cost.

Then you misread, or perhaps I didn't make my argument properly. The point was cost of going from f/1.8 to f/1.4 or even f/1.2. This is true within a sensor size. I personally moved from Minolta 50/1.7 I had from the 90s film SLR to Sony 50/1.4 to Sony 35/1.8. I also have a Zeiss 50/1.7 Planar.

And anyway the last 50/1.8 I bought was for $99 new. So if that's what you want to discuss, then sure.

I don't see a point to it. Or, perhaps you can show me what is it about these yet shallower DoF at wide angles that is dictating the need to spend several times more.

The classic use for fast wide angles is, to my knowledge, to get the low-light advantages. I can't imagine most people choosing a 24/1.4 to get isolation (although I'm sure there are exceptions).

Obviously, using such FL for DoF is rather amusing. But if you're going to talk about low light, why is it that it is people with FF who are complaining about it?

Because there's never an end to the desire to shoot in ever-lower available light. And the people who care the most about low light capability are still using FF.

I'm not. I shoot a lot in low-light conditions although, haven't felt the need to go past ISO 6400.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow