EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: On DOF
In reply to joejack951, Apr 11, 2013

joejack951 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

joejack951 wrote:

Yes it is, and you get even more control with FF. Try matching a 24mm f/1.4 on FF (a combination that even wide open has a good amount of DOF) with a crop camera.

Provide me with a photograph you've taken with such combination so we have something to work with.

I don't own a 24/1.4 so can't satisfy you there. But here's a 35/1.4:

Well thank you. Now, why do you think an f/1 would be necessary on an APS-C for the same?

Uncropped, yes. Cropped to the same framing, they'd be identical. Moving closer with the FF camera to match the APS-C framing, it would be more shallow.

So, to match or beat an APS-C DoF achieved optically, you'd have to digitally crop the image out of FF, right?

You are confused. I can take pictures identical (save for being lower MP) images to APS-C cameras with my D3S by using the APS-C crop mode. Shooting with the full sensor, I can have the same subject framing with the same lens but at a closer distance yielding less DOF.

I can't blame you for not being able to keep up with my post, but I've mentioned that a couple of times (crop mode in FF cameras). In fact, it was one of three cases I've presented.

You are confused. Everything held equal, cropping a FF file to an APS-C file's framing yields the same DOF. As soon as you start moving closer with the FF camera (and cropping less up to the point where no crop is needed), the FF shot will have less DOF. Go try for yourself at www.dofmaster.com

The only confusion there is about you not being able to differentiate between digital cropping (FF file) versus optical results out of APS-C.

There is no difference other than the MP of the captured image. You are confusing simple cropping with the "digital zoom" feature some cameras have which extrapolates the cropped images back to the original number of MP.

You're confused. The argument is between getting results optically (using a 400mm lens for 400mm FoV) versus cropping a 100mm lens to achieve 400mm FoV in post processing.

Is this a serious question?

Yes. What would you use 50mm f/1.4 on FF for a similar situation? Would it be to lessen the isolation effect, or to improve it? For that matter, do you always shoot wide open?

This has been answered by others. No, I don't always shoot wide open but I do sometimes shoot wide open, especially with zoom lenses.

At f/1.4? That is where we were at.

There are times when wide open at f/1,4 on full frame (or wide open at f/2.8 or f/4 depending on the lens) that I wish I had less DOF, or am happy with the amount I have. Using an APS-C camera would then mean that I'd have more DOF than I desired.

Give me an example.

I like the DOF in the image posted above.

It is good, but it could use a slightly deeper DoF for better isolation unless you wanted a part of the subject to blend into the background. Was that the idea?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that, as perfectly illustrated above with your pictures and question about necessity of a 50mm f/1.4, just because you are happy with your APS-C results doesn't mean that everyone else has to be?

This isn't about trying to make you happy, or sad. This is about discussing pros and cons of systems.

Your continued posts to these threads are all about trying to get others to be happy with what you've settled on, or at least that's the impression I get. You seem to want to ignore any "pro" listed for full frame and deny any of the cons of crop cameras.

Perhaps making some of you very unhappy.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow