Re: The NOH8 Series
In reply to Sunset, Apr 11, 2013

Sunset wrote:

Sunny Caribe wrote:

ConanLloyd wrote:

Sunset wrote:

ConanLloyd wrote:

Sunset wrote:

No H8 here.  Just the truth.  It looks like a 7th grade project.  Look at all the lessons presented in the first comment and see if you can do it right next time.  Or tackle something easier, like a picture of a daisy.

I have a question.  If your goal was to add to the skills and abilities of the photographer, why take a condescending and insulting tone?  If your goal wasn't to help the photographer improve, then why comment at all?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Conan D. Lloyd
http://conanlloydphotography.com/

If you read the first comment, you will see a number of suggestions to improve the shot.  If you differ with those, say so.  I agree with them and I said so.

As for the tone of my comment, clearly I disagree with whatever it was intended to portray is portrayed.  And thought it to be done in a childish manner.

There is a skill in the portrayal of subject matter that I feel is lacking.

Simply opening your mouth and speaking whatever your feel is permitted by the 1st amendment.  And that is something we all should  be thankful for

But this is a forum to improve photography skills and not merely to stand on a soap box.   Perhaps I was a bit harsh.  I'll take that thought into consideration next time.

Thank you for the response. For the record, I agree with most of the suggestions and think these could be made much better.   I also agree that we all have the right of free speech, and will defend at right. It's quite possible I took your response out of context but it felt more like an attack to me than constructive criticism.

I'm all for constructive criticism, I crave it in fact. I just feel that many here tend to forget the constructive part. Maybe it's overly sensitive of me but there is a large difference in the feel of

"No H8 here.  Just the my opinion.  As shot, it comes off like a 7th grade project.  Look at all the good suggestions presented in the first comment and see if you can use them to improve next time."

and

"No H8 here.  Just the truth.  It looks like a 7th grade project.  Look at all the lessons presented in the first comment and see if you can do it right next time. Or tackle something easier, like a picture of a daisy."

The bolder section is what really got my back up and is what caused me to ask what the intent was.

Just my $.02 and not meant as an attack.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Conan D. Lloyd
http://conanlloydphotography.com/

Generally speaking, "no hate here..." is a preface for a litany of ugliness.  The posts you cite appear to be no exception.

-- hide signature --

Rick
Cornmeal, gunpowder, hamhocks, guitar strings.

More accurately, NoH8 is a political slogan.  The rules for the forums specifically do not permit political messages.

Someone must be reading a different set of rules.  No mention of politics in these rules.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum-rules

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow