Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,926Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and
In reply to markprincess, Apr 11, 2013

My speaker cables cost more than ALL of your lenses! So there.

Robert

I'm sorry Robert but it seems you should have spent less on cables and more on lenses. Cables have much more of a diminishing return than quality glass. But seriously, I know I'm not alone in thinking you are doing those who are honestly evaluating and making decisions a grave disservice. The new 85 1.4 is a far better lens than the 1.8. Not by a notch here and a smidge there either!

You like your 85 and that's fine. I don't know what your friends are telling you except maybe what they know you WANT to hear but the new 85 1.4 is not a dreamy rendering lens. That distinction goes to the old 1.4. I also can easily tell the difference between the 2 lenses. Just take a look on flickr...it's very easy to do and the results are very telling.

It's so odd to see how people are really emotionally tied up in their gear. In some cases it's clearly a big ego thing. Look at the fellow above who's concerned with what I can afford!

I've looked at a lot of photos from both. When it comes to faces I prefer the 1.8G. I'm not alone in this belief either. I also find that my older and cheaper 70-200 VR1 did certain things better than my newer 70-200 VRII.

The 1.4D is the least clinical of these primes, followed by the 1.4G. I PREFER the clinical look some are critical of. I've had them all on my cameras. I find the 1.8G the sharpest and best lens for faces ever. That's my experience based on my tastes.

There are plenty of nice lenses I don't like; the 70-200 F4, 24-120 F4, 17-35, 35 1.4, 85 1.4g, 50 1.4g, 16-35 F4, 20 2.8D and many more. That doesn't mean you have to agree, which is why there are so many other good choices.

I'm not a lens snob and I don't buy expensive glass so I can be part of a club. I buy what works best. As I can buy whichever lens I like, I don't really care about cost except in the value aspect. For example: I find the 70-200 F4 a poor value.

And again, that's MY view, quite valid for my usage of the gear on jobs or simply having fun.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow