Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,905Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and
In reply to lazy lightning, Apr 11, 2013

lazy lightning wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Sorry, Lazy...

I've tested all of these lenses. It's fair for you to say which lens YOU like, but the rest is all subjective.

Except the Sharpness! The 85mm 1.8G is sharper on a D800 or D800e.

Except the Bokeh! The 85mm 1.4G has bokeh that is a notch beyond the 1.8G.

What you call clinical I call "real" and exactly what I want from a portrait lens. The dreamy quality of the 1.4G is not to my taste. I view it as a lens for shooting babies in a studio.

As for the 1.4D, I also owned that lens and it absolutely makes the new 1.4G look clinical by comparison, so I know why some of my friends continue to prefer it over all others. The 1.4D is even better for those studio baby shots!

In the end and looking at things more practically, the 1.8G and 1.4G lenses are so close it's pretty tough to tell them apart in real world shooting without pixel peeping. It's nothing remotely close to the IQ disparity that existed between the older versions.

For candids and portraits I find that the sharpness and AF speed is more important than the 1.4G bokeh advantage. Mind you, these are BOTH great lenses, but this is not a case where one lens wins on all fronts. Both have specific strengths. Choose according to taste and don't play "class warrior" games with lenses!

My speaker cables cost more than ALL of your lenses! So there.

Robert

I've seen you post your same old story on every 85 1.4/1.8 thread. It's okay, you couldn't afford the better lens, we get it.

And now no one will take you seriously. Good work!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow