Continuation: Sensor Size, Present & Possibilities

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,081Gear list
Like?
Re: On DOF
In reply to neil holmes, Apr 10, 2013

neil holmes wrote:

You are right, to a point...depends on the camera...6mp kodak FF?

You'd compare that to something like a Canon D30 of similar vintage.

Put it this way, on my Q that 85 is gives a 480mm angle of view....with 1.2 shutter speed and while the Q might not be a great camera at iso 6400 it does not have to be.   For MORE money, I could buy a lens that would give me aprox 480mm on FF but I would be at 5.6 at best.

Still not thinking it through.   You can use the same "factor" for both aperture and shutter speed, so you'd be trying to match a 480mm f/5.6 lens.  The Canon 400mm f/5.6 is $1400 while the 85 f/1.2 is $2200.

That DOF would still be shallower than the 85 1.2 on the Q I think but so what, the Q is still  shallow enough for subject isolation easily  wide open especially (or stopped down a little)

They'd be similar.

Also, it still focuses down to 3 feet and the FF lens would not focus anywhere near as close

That's what extension tubes are for.  Still cheaper.

.....At 5.6 and iso 6400 and 1/50 on the FF, I can be at 1.4, iso 1600 and 1/100.

Or you could be at ISO 12800 and 1/100.  There is no Pentax Q in the DP comparison tool, but pick the best 1/2.3" sensor and compare the FF ISO 12800 (or 25600) results vs small sensor ISO 1600.  No contest even excluding resizing.

1/50 at 480mm and you wanna be on a tripod or drugs.   The much smaller 85 on the Q can easily be hand held at 1/100

The angle of view is the same for both lenses so handshake is similar. (Actually, I'd bet the FF combo would be more stable as the body to lens size would be a better match.)  You also have the option of an OS lens (i.e. a Sigma xx-500mm OS).  IS/OS in the lens works a lot better than sensor shake at this magnification.

Yes, but most people do not buy the lastest camera when it comes out....

That applies to both the large and small sensor cameras.  You can pick any year you like as long as both cameras are new for that year.

and sensors in smaller cameras are good ENOUGH these days.

If it's good enough for you, that's great.  But it's not good enough for everyone.  You can't use the Q to get what I can using FF and a 70-200mm f/2.8 for background isolation:

Model: Ann

I disagree, being able to use a faster shutter speed is something that i would rather any day over a slight deepening of Dof.

Alas, it doesn't work that way.  Use the DPR tool to compare sensor output and you'll see that FF high ISO will more than match the shutter speed for the same quality.

And the size thing IS A HUGE plus for smaller caameras....i want all though....three cameras (differnt formats), three lenses (to fit all might be what I end up with

Sure, different size vs. capability tradeoffs are nice to have.  But there are reasons so many choose FF when the output flexibility is most important.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow