Not one unkind word to say about this lens.

Started Apr 10, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Big45acp
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Not one unkind word to say about this lens.
Apr 10, 2013

I picked up this lens on March 23rd and have shot it every day since. I have absolutely no complaints or regrets with this lens. Super sharp, amazing detail, great contrast and color, fast AF, solid construction, and excellent VR. I can hand hold this at 400mm all day long and come home with more keepers than ever before. I shot the famed 70-200 f/2.8 with 2xTC for some time before buying the 80-400. The new 80-400 tops the previously mentioned combo in every way, and I can put a TC on top of this for even more reach if necessary. I did not put the two head-to-head in the sub 200mm range, but I'm very happy with the performance in that range as well. With the 1.4TC I'm giving up almost nothing. My D7100 will even focus this lens with the 1.7TC attached (did not attempt the 2x). Some complain about the launch price being too high. I would disagree. There is no direct comparison to this lens. I have found nothing that provides this level of reach, flexibility and high level of image quality. The 200-400 f/4 is probably great, but at over $6,700 way outside my price range. But, I don't think it would be fair to say the 200-400 f/4 is overpriced.

Big45acp's score
Average community score
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow