Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
lazy lightning
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and
In reply to Shotcents, Apr 10, 2013

I have tested and owned all of the Nikkor 85's, except for 1.8D. The best of them for me by a wide margin is the 85 1.4G. I guess I'm used to looking at large prints of my fashion portraits. The 1.8G is far to clinical and cool for a classic portrait lens. The 1.4D was my favorite and I had to try real hard not to like the output from the 1.4G better, but it didn't work. The 1.4G, due to the better sharpness, color and micro-contrast really makes the subject pop! I used to like the warm, dreamy, softish portrait look and still do to an extent but I can achieve that in post if I need. The rubbish about the 1.4D's bokeh being better than 1.4G's is just that, rubbish. For those of you "who see little difference" between the 1.8G and the 1.4G, if you say it enough you might start believing it I suppose.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow