Worried about the future of Canon's Txi/XXXD Line after seeing T5i...

Started Apr 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,689Gear list
Like?
Re: The heart of the matter...
In reply to ragmanjin, Apr 10, 2013

ragmanjin wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

R2D2, thanks for your comments and recommendations.

I can certainly see why you would recommend the 5DIII as a substantial improvement over what I have.  Unfortunately the $3500 price is beyond my budget.  That is only one consideration.  The FF lens are killer expensive and big and heavy compared with my APS-C lenses.  If I were going to upgrade to full frame, I would need to sell quite a few lenses (10-22, 15-85, 55-250 and 60 macro).  I would just scrap my two 18-55 lenses.  I would need to spend another small fortune to get the 16-35, 24-105, and 70-200, and 100 macro.  Those of not only expensive but heavy.  Currently I can carry a large selection of APS-C lenses on a webbelt and hike all day.  No way would that work for the FF equivalents.

If I were going to switch to FF, I would go with the D800e.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

If you want better dynamic range, incomparable high-ISO quality, better focussing, a more durable shutter, weather-sealed body; a small, light APS-C body and a wide variety of APS-C-specific lenses, but are on a budget, I'd seriously consider Pentax's entry-level K-30. Their weather-proofing is pretty impressive, too, I wouldn't dare do this with my D7000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtF4z7uKYoY

That is really impressive.  I could have used that when I was in Death Valley.  I spent several weeks in DEVA.  I was very careful about lens changes but even so dust worked its way into the camera.  I had to do a wet sensor cleaning approximately every 10 days.  Normally I can go a year or more with heavy use and thousands of lens changes.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
T6i?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow