Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,341
Like?
Re: On DOF
In reply to neil holmes, Apr 10, 2013

neil holmes wrote:

C) To increase the exposure to reduce noise

And here is actually and ADVANTAGE of smaller sensors in practical use for a lot of people.

Put a good fast lens on a smaller sensor and it remains a good fast lens...especially when a lens that gets the same angle of view is not made as fast for FF (think 85 1.2 ETC).    You "lose" the ability to have dof thinner than it otherwise could (but still thin enough???)  but you get to use lower isos/higher shutter speeds.

You are not thinking this through - you can get the same DOF/shutter speed/noise by stopping down the fast lens on FF but increasing the ISO.

And if you want a bit more dof as well, well you can have that to...with FF you would have to stop down for the dof increase and lose the shutter speed

Simply increase the ISO - FF sensors typically have less noise (for the same brand/generation of camera.)

As i have said before, I think the dof argument in favour of FF is over rated (and yes, many want it....including me) and for others the dof argument in FAVOUR of crop sensors is a bigger plus (including me).

Unfortunately, there is no real DOF argument in favor is crop sensors (see above.)  There is often a size/weight advantage and the DOF disadvantage may not be something you need often, but otherwise FF offers more versatility - particularly when it comes to lens choices.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow