Panasonic GX1 or E-PL2?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,467Gear list
Like?
Think about it.
In reply to BobT, Apr 10, 2013

BobT wrote:

I currently have the E-PL2 and a pair of kit lenses.  But being that I spend (way too much) time checking out Craigslist, I noticed a Panasoninc GX1 body (Like New) for $250.  So tell me, is the GX1 enough of a step-up over the E-PL2 that I should consiider it?  Or  would you recommend I leave well enough alone and stick with my Oly PEN camera?  Both my Oly 14-42 II and 40-150mm lenses WILL work on the GX1, will they not?  But I'd lose my image stabilization with the GX1.  Correct?

Thanks

Losing stabilisation by using Oly lenses on a Pany body is an important issue if you want to shoot in anything other than bright daylight. The 40-150mm particularly will suffer badly, even if it gets overcast and shutter speeds need to drop.

So if changing bodies then you need also to change lenses to the Panasonic equivalent of 14-42mm or better 14-45mm plus say the 45-150mm and all those lenses have OIS so it all works properly with Panasonic bodies.

The only sensible update from E-PL2  to retain the use of your Olympus lenses is to get the E-PL5. Or just keep using the E-PL2 if it is delivering results that you like.

Buying a new camera does not make you a better photographer, all it does is briefly increase  your interest in photography.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow