Sigma 19 or 30 for Landscapes

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?
Re: Sigma 19 or 30 for Landscapes
In reply to viking79, Apr 10, 2013

I would just use the kit, I think even the 16-50 is pretty good at 20mm.  You will definitely want the 50-210mm.  I would say get the 19 or 30mm f/2.8 if you want to make the large prints, but even the kit lens should do decent at those settings at f/7.1 or so.  The Sigma lenses will be better if you want to shoot at larger apertures of course.

I would think more interesting would be to get the 10-18mm or maybe a 35 or 50mm f/1.8 for lower light situations.  Could get a legacy 50mm f/1.8 and adapter for probably $50 to $100 no problem.  I recommend the Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 as a nice compact solution (the OM50mm f/1.8 and adapter are about the same size as SEL 50mm f/1.8).  All the 50mm f/1.7 or 1.8 lenses are pretty decent, not many bad ones out there.

An alternative could be to get a 300mm f/4 or so lens for Yellowstone.  These might be more expensive though.  Looks like you can get a Canon FD 300mm f/4 for less than $200.  This would likely be better than your 50-210mm and have some extra reach for wildlife.  Maybe even an older 400mm f/5.6.  Make sure you get a good brand on these though, the cheapies aren't any good.

Really, look at what you need and what type of shooting you will do.  As you say, the 19 or 30mm might be a bit of an overlap with what you have, if you don't really need the best image quality at the corners at larger apertures, than the kit is likely fine.

Eric

I don't mean to take away from the OP's thread, but as a new NEX 6 owner this is a very relevant thread for me.  I have both the 16-50pz and the 55-210.  I was planning to buy the Sigma 2 lens kit at B&H, but have been wondering if that is the best way to spend that $200.  I am looking for a basic lens set that will work for typical situations and travel -- next trip is Florida where I will be doing things both inside and out (wildlife, beaches, street/city shooting and museums).

Do the Sigmas have a place or might I be better off trying some legacy glass? At $200 for 2 good primes, the Sigmas seem hard to beat, but as pointed out, there is some overlap and I would really like a faster lens than the kit for lower light/indoor use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow