Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
suey11
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Adapters
In reply to viking79, Apr 10, 2013

suey11 wrote:

Thanks rjx
I've got the 35 and 18 so I'm looking at longer focal lengths and budget wise I'm looking like most here for value for money vs image quality.

How long of focal lengths?  I would suggest a 50 to 55mm f/1.4 to f/1.8 manual focus lens.  There are many of these.  One I recommend is an Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8.  Very cheap and very good, and keeps a compact size.  Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 is also good.  The 1.4 versions are often slightly better, but heavier and larger.

You could also pick up a 90mm f/2.5 or 2.8 macro.  I really like the compact Tamron 52B or 52BB which is a 1:2 macro, and usually less than $200.  Any mount is probably fine, just make sure you can get an adapter for it.  Heck, you can even get a mountless version (it is universal Adaptall mount I think) and get a Fuji X to Tamron Adaptall mount adapter.  Along those lines the Tamron 200mm f/3.5 Adaptall is a very good lens too.

Most makers have a nice 135mm f/2.5 to 3.5 lens too.  SMC Pentax 135mm f/3.5 M is particularly compact and cheap.  The f/2.5 versions are much larger and heavier, but the good ones might perform a bit better.

If you want wider angle, the Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Heliar II is extremely nice in Leica M mount, but might be a harder sell for full price with the Fuji 14mm f/2.8 costing about the same.  I bought mine used for significantly less making it a good deal.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

Thanks Viking
That info is greatly appreciated.
Forgive my ignorance but I take it different brands means different adapters.
Is there a popular one or is it down to preference.
Sorry about so many questions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow