iZoom, FZ200, LX7, FastStone - a few thoughts

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,271
Like?
Re: iZoom, FZ200, LX7, FastStone - a few thoughts
In reply to Mikedigi, Apr 10, 2013

Mikedigi wrote:

So if I use , in iZoom, any even number, say 32x (2 x 16x), or 38x (2 x 19x), that will not be as good as using 48x?

I.e. is it one-spot, or sliding scale?

Sorry, I think that I mis-interpreted your question in my previous reply. There is no technical reason why any of the above would be different. The sensor-cropping (and up-sampling) ratios listed are 2.

However - I do not know how a particular camera's user-interface operates (and whether the user can specify the above listed situations). With EZ Zoom implementations, the amount of the sensor-cropping that takes place is controlled by the camera. With the FZ50 it is gradually increased over the range of the Zoom Factor control values. With the LX3, quite a bit of the sensor-cropping appears to be implemented early on in the range of the Zoom Factor control.

It sounds like (perhaps) these later released cameras (may) allow more direct control of the amount of sensor-cropping ? Don't know. There (may be) so little about it in the Operating Instructions that you may need to test and look at the Focal Length in the EXIF meta-data to determine how much of the implemented zoom is optical, and how much is due to sensor-cropping.

If the pixel-size of the recorded JPG remains the same (with or without i-Zoom), then you know that the up-sampling ratio that is being applied is the same as the sensor-cropping ratio.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow