Feeling jipped with D600 39-pt AF?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Feeling jipped with D600 39-pt AF?
In reply to Brian Caslis, Apr 10, 2013

Ironically, speeding race cars is far from a challenging subject for most focus systems in most cases.  Fast moving race cars generally do their fast moving outside on sunny days, move predictably and are brightly colored so as not to blend in with their surroundings.  The D200's "primitive" 11 point AF is more than adequate for most motorsports uses.  About the only time you see any need for increased performance is enough to offset higher resolution (which all the current cameras have had no issues with, my D600 produces nearly the same keeper rate as my D7000/D300/D200 before it despite showing misfocus more easily as well as bad panning technique due to the high pixel density).  And maybe for shooting high shutter speed/quick transition work there could be a case for it, but generally all I shoot is tracking pans at really low shutters, and even when I'm not doing that you still need to track the subject, and you have to use your brain and prefocus on the track surface at the point you'll pick the car up.  With good technique almost any AF system currently sold will do fine for race cars.  If you want to talk about a challenge, air show, bird in flight and wild animals in darkening conditions would be much better test cases.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow