Sigma 19 or 30 for Landscapes

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,551Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 19 or 30 for Landscapes
In reply to svgklingon, Apr 10, 2013

svgklingon wrote:

So I know the easy answer is "both". But I'm more curious if it's even worth either lens for landscape photos.

I am going to Yellowstone and then climbing the Grand Teton in June. I plan to bring my Nex 6 with me and thought one of these primes might be a nice, lost cost addition to my 16-50 kit lens and the SEL55-210 I have.

There have been a lot of posts lately about the 19 and 30 and I like the results I've seen. I just don't know if the 1 stop improvement over the kit lens is worth it. For the $150 for one of those lenses I could probably get a legacy manual lens off ebay and an adapter.

Just thinking out loud here. Any advice is appreciated.

I would just use the kit, I think even the 16-50 is pretty good at 20mm.  You will definitely want the 50-210mm.  I would say get the 19 or 30mm f/2.8 if you want to make the large prints, but even the kit lens should do decent at those settings at f/7.1 or so.  The Sigma lenses will be better if you want to shoot at larger apertures of course.

I would think more interesting would be to get the 10-18mm or maybe a 35 or 50mm f/1.8 for lower light situations.  Could get a legacy 50mm f/1.8 and adapter for probably $50 to $100 no problem.  I recommend the Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8 as a nice compact solution (the OM50mm f/1.8 and adapter are about the same size as SEL 50mm f/1.8).  All the 50mm f/1.7 or 1.8 lenses are pretty decent, not many bad ones out there.

An alternative could be to get a 300mm f/4 or so lens for Yellowstone.  These might be more expensive though.  Looks like you can get a Canon FD 300mm f/4 for less than $200.  This would likely be better than your 50-210mm and have some extra reach for wildlife.  Maybe even an older 400mm f/5.6.  Make sure you get a good brand on these though, the cheapies aren't any good.

Really, look at what you need and what type of shooting you will do.  As you say, the 19 or 30mm might be a bit of an overlap with what you have, if you don't really need the best image quality at the corners at larger apertures, than the kit is likely fine.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow