Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
Re: Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.
In reply to VirtualMirage, Apr 10, 2013

VirtualMirage wrote:

Tom Wilson 62 wrote:

Where I'm coming from is that a FF image needs much less enlarging than an APS-C for e.g. an 8x10 and thus shows less noise (thus higher quality?) at a particular ISO setting.  Also, you're correct that depth of field is less but, unless you frequently need extensive DOF, it often doesn't matter.

I like your comments and they made me think but, as an old available light fanatic, I love my A99 (and thinner DOF on people pics) while still enjoying the reach with zooms on my A65.

Take care.  Tom

Hello Tom,

Out of the other posters so far, I think you have come the closest to understanding what I was initially writing about.  Thanks! 

I'll stop reading here and shout "Bingo!"  since I've read enough equivalency notes on the micro4/3 forum to make my brain hurt.  If you want to enlarge your images, start with the largest 'negative' and enjoy; if you post to social sites or blogs enjoy the size benefits of smaller-sensor cams... and also enjoy.  If making spreadsheets helps (and I have made many!), enjoy where it leads you.  In all cases: enjoy imaging!

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-S1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow