Best focal lengths combination with a D7100?

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
midimid
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
Re: Best focal lengths combination with a D7100?
In reply to Jack Hogan, Apr 10, 2013

+1 on al of the others' post. After a bunch of lens swapping, I now have this in my big bag:

Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Nikon 18-105
Nikon 35mm f1.8
Tamron 60mm f2 macro
Tamron 70-300 VC

When going out casually, I find that I use the 11-16, 18-105 almost 100% of the time and the others only when I know I'll want it. The 35mm is great for alot of things, but most of the time I need the 18-105's range and the pictures usually come out just as nice. That leaves the 35mm more useful for the lower f-stop and as you mentioned, the "50mm look," but I use it less and less often nowadays.

As soon as I go indoors, I usually swap to the 11-16. As mentioned, its not as useful for people shooting, but if you keep them in the middle of the frame and crop, it comes out perfectly fine after distortion control in Lightroom. I actually really like the distortion of wide-angles and the Tokina's are sharp enough that you can really crop and slice up the images to get what you want.

The 18-105 is really a wonderful lens and I'm consistently amazed at how well it performs for a kit lens. I wouldn't feel safe to go shooting without it. While it may not have the range of the 300mm superzooms, nor the sharpness or performance of an f2.8, its sharpness and overall quality feels alot more controlled across the range, especially at the narrow end where you'll use it the most.

midimid's gear list:midimid's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow