Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,290
Like?
Re: Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and
In reply to tektrader, Apr 10, 2013

Hi

I have the 85mm 1.8G. It is my most used lens and I'm very happy with it. I didn't "buy into the hype" because I didn't buy it based on anything I read. I just decided what lenses (focal lengths) I wanted and tried some lenses at local stores. I chose the 85mm 1.8G because I liked it and it is excellent.

I use it almost always at f/1.8 to f/2.2 apertures. Usually at high ISO, around 3200-6400, with the occasional 12800 or a good day only at 1600. Almost all hand held. So it is difficult to get anything critical from this. Brief tests at the store before buying seemed excellent for f/1.8 so I bought it. Focus is a bit slow but not bad.

Consider that I'm colourblind and maybe I just don't notice some of the problems you describe, which seem to be with colours. Shrpness is definitely not a problem with my lens. Of course it's sharper at f/5.6 or f/8 than wide open. It is obvious in a critical side by side comparison. But I consider it sharp at f/1.8 and excellent for what I need (maybe 80% concerts in very low light).

I just did this quick test, FWIW. Can't post the photos here for some reason, I get an error that the subject is too long. But you can see all photos in this album (order is by aperture f/1.8, f2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8) http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/771045578/albums/niokn-85mm-1-8g-test

Edit: Forgot to mention these are 100% crops.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow