E M-5 and lenses . Reason to be concerned?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,631Gear list
Like?
Re: In most conditions stabilisation is irrelevant
In reply to tt321, Apr 10, 2013

tt321 wrote:

Anders W wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I have for other systems. Bokeh was not as nice with VR (Nikon 70~200). I can find you a link. I have not seen the same research for MFT though.

I have heard about problems with other systems too. But with those I have personally used (Pentax SR, Panasonic OIS, Olympus IBIS as implemented in the E-M5), I have never found any indication that keeping the system on when at shutter speeds so high that it isn't really needed has any adverse effects.

I am intrigued by IS on leading to bokeh being worse. What would be the mechanism for that?

I will do some systematic tests when I get the time. Very interesting.

Bjørn Rørslett was my guru for everything Nikon. Unfortunately he no longer keeps his web site up to date. He did a review of the original Nikon 70~200 in which he noted VR caused a small but noticeable loss of detail when used on a tripod (ok you should turn it off but you might forget), and a slight diminishing of the bokeh when used hand-held. I have seen this said elswhere too but I can't remember where.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow