E M-5 and lenses . Reason to be concerned?

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,026Gear list
Like?
Re: In most conditions stabilisation is irrelevant
In reply to Anders W, Apr 10, 2013

Anders W wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Anders W wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I assume he means the shutter speeds people most often use,

I figured that much. But which would you say those are? And where would you draw the borderline between those where IS is of help and those where it isn't?

I tend to use the old rule of thumb of keeping the shutter speed at the 135 format focal length and above. That works for me. I can go slower if I steady myself against a wall or tree, and I'll go faster for moving subjects. IBIS won't help for moving subjects, and even if I do use it I prefer to keep a sensible shutter speed when possible.

OK. Depending on the lens used, that implies that IS is of value, depending on the lens used, at all shutter speeds from 1/600 downwards (or even above 1/600 for those using "legacy" teles longer than 300 mm).

No, if I'm shooting with my standard lens onan OMD, 17mm I will try to shoot at min 60th/sec. I don't need IBIS at 60th or above.

Personally, however, I have found IS to be of value considerably higher up the shutter speed range than the 1/EFL rule suggests.

First, this rule stems from an era where sharpness was inspected far less meticulously than it is today (because the prints we made were smaller and slides were usually viewed at some distance). I have seen quite a few people suggest that 1 / (2 x EFL) is more realistic if you are opting for tack-sharp results.

I find it is still a good rule of thumb. The only camera where I would want to be a stop faster (that I have used) is a D800. However, the high ISO performance on that body is so good that I would crank that up before using VR.

Second, the rule, whichever we choose, is not such that you will succeed on every trial. Rather, the point is that it gives you decent chances of success. If you go to a higher shutter speed than the rule suggests, your chances are even better but still not 100 percent. Keeping IS turned on improves the odds even further. At sufficiently high shutter speed, it simply acts as an extra safety net against mistakes or sheer bad luck.

True, but when I don't have it I rarely miss it until I statrt putting longer lenses on.

Given the choice I'd rather use a tripod but I rarely use one of those unless I know I'll need it. IBIS does help negate the need for a tripod, but it's not foolproof.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow