Scanning paper photos 2400dpi v 4800dpi.

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Scanning paper photos 2400dpi v 4800dpi.
Apr 10, 2013

I'm choosing between two cheap scanners to acquire some printed photos. One photo is a B&W previous enlarged photo with a lot of physical damage. Resolution looks very low.

But the others are regular 6 x 4 prints you get back after sending a film to the lab.

One scanner claims 2400 x 4800 dpi, and the other is about double the price and accordingly claims. 4800 x 4800 dpi.

My instinct is telling me 2400 is going to get all the detail there is to be got and I may as well get the cheaper one.  It's physically a bit smaller too, and obviously if I use 2400 x 2400 the files I have to work with will be 1/4 the size and therefore faster to process. So it seems like a win win.

Am I missing something obvious; is there anything I'm likely to scan that would benefit from 4800 dpi (I'm guessing slides/negatives would need a backlight attachment which neither seems to have so ignore those) and if so do these scanners really do that (these are cheap Canon flatbeds) do they actually really pickup that much detail these days or is it marketing-speak/interpolation.

Thanks in advance (I used to write TIA, but guys started calling be Tia and hitting on me, sigh).

-Najinsky

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow