Photographing a Person: A test of focal lengths

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?
Re: Photographing a Person: A test of focal lengths
In reply to richj20, Apr 10, 2013

It seems to me that what most consider to be the transition range from a "distorted" head shot to a "normal-looking" head shot corresponds to focus distances that are in a range from about a half an arm's-length for the 17mm lens (~1.5 feet or "uncomfortably close standing distance") to just beyond an arm's length for the 45mm lens (>3.5 feet or "plenty of personal space").

Interesting, no?

Perhaps individuals that prefer portraits taken at 75mm are just less comfortable being physically close to other people.

Any psych students out there can feel free to use this for the basis of a dissertation. I don't require coauthorship. Just include me in the credits.

Edit: Dagnabbit! Looks like I got scooped.

Tom, that's a really cool article!

richj20 wrote:

In another thread, I posted photographs of people taken at different focal lengths. I thought it would be useful to do a test with the same person at different focal lengths, so I enlisted the help of my neighbor.

The test wasn't as controlled as I would have liked: he changed is head angle slightly a few times, but I think an overall impression can be gotten.

(I'd like to get a manequin and do a similar test!)

Also, I moved his location when the sun became harsh on the face.

I positioned the tripod to frame approximately a head-shoulders pose, and moved back accordingly as I changed focal lengths from 12mm (a little less than 2 feet from lens to face) to 150mm (about 14 feet from lens to face).

Here they are -- focal lengths in m4/3 format, so double them to get full frame equivalent.

- Richard-
"Careful photographers run their own tests." - Fred Picker

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow