Continuation: Sensor Size, Present & Possibilities

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Biggs23 MOD Veteran Member • Posts: 4,071
Re: Continuation: Sensor Size, Present & Possibilities

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

The thread (Death of Full Frame ) hit the 149-response...

1-Depth, width and weight measurements with a particular combination, as requested. I should have included height as well (because that too matters).

I do appreciate you providing that. So it looks like your combination is just over 3" shorter than a Nikon D800 with a 70-200mm f/2.8 attached. In terms of carrying something around that's not a lot of space to be saved, although there is a somewhat significant weight difference which may matter to some users. The D800 combination would be heavier, 3" longer, but would be able to provide a range of 70mm to 200mm at f/2.8 instead of just 300mm equivalent. If you count cropping ability, the D800 combination could actually provide 70mm to 450mm at f/2.8 in terms of equivalent length. (36MP cropped to 16MP of the NEX6).

Also, to head off the inevitable, I recognize that you have several other lenses and whatnot. However, if you add in just the 24-70mm f/2.8 to the D800 combo you get 90%+ of the range your bag has and with just a single body and two lenses. Weight/size wise it looks like the 24-70mm would be smaller and lighter than the rest of your bag added together, so a net savings.

So the question becomes, is 3" of length, 1" or 2" of height, and a couple of pounds worth the extra range, extra image quality, extra accessory and other options, and extra ergonomic advantages of the D800?

That's a question only the user/buyer can answer. For me, personally, the answer is absolutely!

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D750 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
Biggs23 MOD
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow