C&C appreciated - Basics balancing ambient and flash...

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Photos thread
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 887Gear list
Like?
Re: And then there's this . . .
In reply to Barrie Davis, Apr 10, 2013

About the color of studio walls  — I might have blurted out based on too little info. My wife's tenure at Warner Brothers really put her in an environment dominated by film and film lighting.

But atop that reference, hear this out. We have a friend we've known since he was a kid. His day job today is as a still photographer shooting exclusively on movie and television sets. He is fortunate to be a member of a Guild devoted to that craft.

The first week I had my Nikon D7000, I asked him for some lessons. I was primarily interested in multiple speedlight lighting. Off camera. So he invited me over to his home, which is also used as a studio.

We did some test lighting with triggered off-camera strobes outside. We then went into various rooms of the house he uses. One was his PP room. With only shaded goosenecks for lighting. Windows blacked out with tar paper.  Gooseneck lights clamped to walls, closet door frames, above and next to the desk. He said that for computer PP, it is vital to calibrate the screen and avoid stray ambient light.

The walls were black, and he emphasized the importance of damping down stray light. So, maybe I was exaggerating in my remark. Afterall, PP is not really the same as shooting.

I had better call Martha Stewart right now and get my studio color schemes right!!!!  

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow