Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
just Tony
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?
Re: Triangles vs. points of light
In reply to nathantw, Apr 10, 2013

nathantw wrote:

Holy Yikes, Batman! Thanks, Tony, for doing the test. That first one doesn't look good.

However, I did tests myself and the lights were pretty round (not perfect though). The magenta cast was removable in ViewNX2 that I use.

Keep in mind that the examples I posted are just a step away from pixel peeping. The lights would look close enough to pinpoints in an 8x12" print, and for anyone shooting a D3 or D700 the lower sensor resolution is even more insurance. I think that the vast majority of f.1.4 lenses are put to shame in the corners by this one so I'm not knocking it.

But still, edge to edge pinpoints on a field of stars in the D800 is a real challenge. Great lenses can accomplish that at f/5.6. Absolutely amazing lenses are pretty much there at f/4. I haven't seen one yet that does it at f/2.8 but I haven't given up hope.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow