Sigma 35mm f1.4 and Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Imatested

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
RodluvanII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425Gear list
Like?
Re: When is sharp simply 'sharp enough'?
In reply to Miljenko Devcic, Apr 10, 2013

Miljenko Devcic wrote:

When wide open, you get lots of purple fringing. This dissapears from f/4 upwards. This fringing can produce purple hue to the whole pic.

Thanks Miljenko,

I seldom agree (factually or philosophically) with overly zealous pixel peeping and purple fringing is not something I associate with the 1.4/35 ZF.2. Judging from my Zeiss lenses purple fringing is a common aberration, one I almost think they left under corrected intentionally seeing as most of it is extremely simple to correct for in post from the raw file.

Certainly from my own experience and looking at my own lenses the 1.4/50, 2/28, 2/35, 1.4/85, 2/100 and perhaps even the 2.8/21 has more purple fringing than the 1.4/35 in unfortunate situations and at least the last one is considered to be almost optically perfect bar a moustache distortion and vignetting wide open. Perhaps only the 2/135 will be perfectly corrected (although I've seen samples that really suggests otherwise).

In part this observation of mine may come from a reluctance to intentionally do the stupidest things, such as shooting wide open in a strong contrast situation, but even then, with this lens I'm very confident it wont cause much trouble, certainly there will be no need to stop down below 2.0 (let alone 4).

Regarding the over exposure, my lens don't stop down perfectly. It hits something like f/1.6 when stopped down to 2. I believe this to be a tolerance issue between the lens and the body perhaps not perfectly suited to each other.

@1.6

RodluvanII's gear list:RodluvanII's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/28 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow