Sigma 35mm f1.4 and Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Imatested

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Miljenko Devcic
Contributing MemberPosts: 963
Like?
Re: When is sharp simply 'sharp enough'?
In reply to RodluvanII, Apr 10, 2013

RodluvanII wrote:

Do I understand you correctly that these test measure centre sharpness? If not, where in the frame are they made?

Do you have any thoughts on some of the other many and very important aspects of the lenses?

Yes, the chart in it's current published form shows central resolution only. In order to include corner resolution and CA, I need couple of days more since I'm doing 4 point averaging and its very time consuming. Hoping to get it done till Friday.

I didn't have much chance to shoot real life but in short this is what I noticed:

Zeiss gives much brighter pic at the same f-stop setting, something like 1/2 of a stop. With D7100 to much of a photo gets overexposed. When wide open, you get lots of purple fringing. This dissapears from f/4 upwards. This fringing can produce purple hue to the whole pic. Despite very precise focusing ring, focusing in everyday use is very challenging. My success rate was not very high...

Sigma produces mild and balanced contrast and saturation in most situations without overexposure. High resolution requires very precise focusing and sample tested did not autofocus      good out of box. And due to stiff and short travel focusing ring, manual focusing was very hard to do. I found this lens much more useful in everyday shooting.

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Miljenko
www.pbase.com/miljenko
www.fotomag.net
www.wikiphoto.net
This is my twin pbase account coegsistent with 'Miljenko'.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow