For travel - 20mm or 25mm Panasonic?

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510Gear list
Like?
17/1.8 versus 20/1.7
In reply to Steven 2, Apr 10, 2013

Why restrict yourself to Panasonic lenses?

My three-prime travel lenses are all Olys: the 12/2.0, the 17/1.8 and the 45/1.8.

If I was taking two primes I would definitely take the 12 and I would probably take the 17.

If I was only taking one prime it would be the 17/1.8.

I've shot briefly with the 25/1.4 and thought it was great. Granted, it is a bit heavy and expensive. On the postivite side, it is bright, has great optics and focuses quickly. If it hadn't rattlesnaked horribly on my E-P3 I would have bought it.

The 20/1.7 faces stiff competition, however - from the 17/1.8.

I think the 17/1.8 is a better lens than the 20/1.7 simply because it focuses more quickly. These focal lengths are associated with street photography, and fast focusing is critical for street. The 17/1.8 focuses very quickly, whereas the 20/1.7 is sluggish. The 17/1.8 also has the clutch-focus mechanism for hyperfocal focusing, although I'm not convinced that it is very well implemented.

The 20/1.7 does have two advantages over the 17/1.8: it is flatter (pancake) and it is a little bit sharper. In some countries it is cheaper, but in other countries (including mine) it isn't.

The 17/1.8 has received mixed reviews, but I think it's great. And I'm not speaking as an Oly fanboy, either - I've reviewed the 12/2.0 on several websites and given it only an average rating because of its poor price/performance ratio. I think the 17/1.8 is a better lens than the 12/2.0.

S

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow