LX7 - does its IQ compete with e.g. Sony RX100?

Started Apr 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,437
Like?
Re: "Envelope" is a more useful concept than "equivalence" IMHO
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 10, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

tedandtricia wrote:

If the image is 100% equivalent, it must include exposure, no? I'm not really personally confident how the exposure triangle and equivalency interact, given this apparent contradiction with Falk Lumo.

I assume this is coming from the idea that "equivalent" includes noise, and in order to get the same noise on a smaller sensor you need a lower ISO and therefore a longer / brighter exposure.

IMHO this argument breaks down because under good conditions (plenty of light, dynamic range that isn't excessive, final viewed image size that's not overly large, etc.) the difference in the amount of noise from a small vs. a large sensor is indistinguishable.

Then there is no advantage of in having F1.4, is there?

In that case, the idea that a longer/brighter exposure is required on a smaller sensor to produce an equivalent image to that of a larger sensor is no longer valid.

It is no longer valid because smaller sensor still cannot get the same IQ as larger sensor. At the least that is the case between LX7 and RX100. under plenty of lighting RX100 still trumps LX7 in every aspect of IQ - colour depth, Dynamic range, and resolution. Larger sensor such as OMD trumps RX100 yet again, larger sensor such as D7100 in turn beats OMD  and finally we have D600 beating D7100. All under ideal lighting.

So it seems to me that thinking about things this way is inconsistent

It is not.

and can be confusing because sometimes it's true and sometimes it isn't.

It is not confusing if you understand the fundamentals of it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow