need new head recommendations

Started Mar 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 887Gear list
Like?
Re: need new head recommendations
In reply to NancyP, Apr 10, 2013

I walked into a huge camera store in Hollywood with my 40 year-old Gitzo tripod. Bogen 2-handle head. I asked the guy in the pro section if I should trade up. First he wanted to know if I was a hiker or wilderness guy. Nope. Not at age 70.

He said keep what I got and forget about Carbon Fiber. He advised me to dump the Bogen head and go for a ball head. My biggest lens is an 80-200 with a tripod foot, so a ball with a 10Kg capacity is ample. He suggested the Giottos medium ball. Sells for $135. Looks and feels Italian, but it's made in China. What isn't, these days.

All this is just opinion. And really only has meaning if you're an amateur, like me. I sure am glad I got that Gitzo back in 1987. It would cost nearly $900 today. My wife worked at Warner Brothers Studios for 27 years, and on visits I saw a lot of the cameramen using Gitzo. Giottos is a new brand. But real economical, with an emphasis on function.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow