Feeling jipped with D600 39-pt AF?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
Re: somewhat
In reply to oklaphotog, Apr 10, 2013

I guess it's habit from all of my years of shooting film.... But the first thing I do when turning the camera on is look at the display and check what ISO I have set and if there is a CF card in the body. Then I check my exposure and focus modes.... all before the camera even reaches my eye to shoot with. I think most advanced shooters always pre-check their settings before use, so maybe that is why Nikon designed the VF display like they did since this is usually done using the external lcd's.

I'm sure everyone sets and confirms settings before a shoot. But in many occasions, lighting can vary during an event (going from one room to another, organizers dimming the lights, going from indoors to outdoors, sun going up/down, etc.). One parameter that I often change to adjust to changing light conditions is the ISO setting, and it's useful to always see what's set before taking a picture. In a rush it's easy to forget to adjust settings, so having it displayed in the finder is helpful, especially since extra ISO noise isn't immediately obvious in image review without zooming in (so without the indication, it's easy to take a batch of photos at the wrong ISO and not notice).

And auto ISO, especially combined with manual mode, is an extremely useful feature to me. Being able to see what auto ISO is doing is very nice.

As far as not having frame count in the VF, I don't think this is a problem anymore. With film, it was a necessity. Since most people are using 16gb and bigger cards, you can shoot a long time, even in raw... And it takes a fraction of a second to glance at the cameras top LCD if you really need to know.

Most of the time it's not a problem. But during long shoots, I have run cards down, and it's nice to see how much space you have left. For example, if you glance down and the counter shows 30 or something, it's about time to discard unneeded images to keep space open...just in case. I think if ISO display is set, the top LCD frame count display changes to display ISO too, unless the camera goes into standby or is turned off.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow