Future of photography: Imaging by light vector recording.

Started Apr 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,092
Like?
Re: Future of photography: Imaging by light vector recording.
In reply to looper1234, Apr 10, 2013

looper1234 wrote:

Stand up, look around, hows does that 3D model look to you ? that was from just two sensors. (I am assuming you still have two eyes.) so six sensors are plenty.

The brain constructs 3D models from 2D retinal signals.  we can do this even without  the mapping data on surrounding terrains

Jeez, man, you just keep digging yourself deeper, don't you?   You already demonstrated an exceptionally vague understanding of physics and optics, and now trying to show how little you know biology?

Perform an experiment.   Walk into a room you never been to before, look around for a second, and leave.    See if your super advanced 'sensors' and brain will allow you to recall the level of detail you would obtain by snapping 2-3 shots in the same room with a camera and a wide angle lens.    Another experiment.     Look at a crowd of people waiting at a busy intersection, try to count the number of men and women.    Got that?    Now, using just the visual information compiled by your amazing system in your head, tell me how many of them wore glasses?

The truth is, your eyes - which have a design nearly identical to a modern camera - are focused on a tiny spot at a time, they scan about, generally drawn to objects that move, or are most bright, or very specific details you wish to concentrate on.    Watch this video to gauge the effectiveness of the imaging system in your head at fine detail capture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

Your perception of the world around you is composed primarily by your brain's familiarity with the scene, as well as familiarity with most commonplace objects.    That familiarity is easily exploited to trick the brain into seeing what is not really there - or not seeing what's there.

Assuming that at some point we might construct an apparatus that can record exact energy and direction of every single photon travelling through it over a period of time (or at least a reasonable percentage of them), we might indeed achieve the 'ultimate camera'.   Problem is, this requires such level of subatomic control, that we are going to have fully functional quantum computers before we can get close to that kind of technology.

Yeah, when I was 19 and first read about quantum entanglement, I figured we must be really getting close to having teleportation.    That was a LONG time ago.   Thankfully, there was no Internet yet for me to make a fool of myself on at the time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow