Nikon 85mm F1.8G I bought into the hype about how sharp it is. and " how its the best and sharpest"

Started Apr 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: D800E F/1.8 example
In reply to Daisy AU, Apr 10, 2013

Daisy AU wrote:

I believe the bokeh with the 1.4 is better, but, like you said, is it worth the price? I'm inclined to get the 1.8 for that reason.  I appreciate your advice, thank you.

Daisy after extensive research on the 1.4's including Canon and Zeiss, I came to the conclusion that the 85mm 1.4D is better than the others for Bokeh and blur for portrait and flower photography, and landscapes where the centre is always sharper, in fact it gives a similar blur to the Canon 1.2L V2 @f1.2 (see photozone playing card tests) with the Nikon D at 1.4, it also seems to have more contrast in the centre than all but the Canon and because the rapid blur is engineered, it gives better subject isolation than the Canon. The bokeh circles are clearer and to die for! Though the Canon is smoother in the transition zone by a tad.

The Canon costs even more than the Nikon 1.4G, which is an exceptional all-rounder, but the D is still the 85 bokeh King . You can buy used at circa 750 us dollars. (It is the combination of contrast and sharpness and design in the centre that kills. There are many good lenses for centre to edge sharpness for landscapes including the 85. 1.8G. But not for ultimate Bokeh.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow