Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
blulegend
Senior MemberPosts: 1,600
Like?
Re: Fuji X100s or Sony Nex 6 pz 16-50
In reply to Fogsville, Apr 10, 2013

Fogsville wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

....the Sony engineers interfere too much with the dummy user who has to be stopped from making a mistake by disabling this that and other thing all the time in their menus.

Fuji is more respectful of the photographer.

So not to cheapen the Nex because it is good, I would sum up as Fuji is more the photographer's camera and Nex more the casual upgrader from a point and shoot type of camera. It has that distinct feel to it. Sony Nex is a bit too automatic to be totally engaging even though you can set everything manually once you get used to the extremely poorly thought out menu system.

Greg.

This is a good summation.  As a long time Leica user (especially the film M cameras) I find that using the X100s is really enjoyable.  The interface between photographer and the tool is extremely important to me. The NEX series ended up being a burden to use.  And as far as the IQ, pretty much everything out there has reached a level of high competency.

I also agree here.  I consciously chose then X100S to help advance my "eye" and to inspire more artistic photography.  I plan on selling my D7000 kit, some of which I've had since the D70, to concentrate on the X100S as my only camera for a while.  I'm also doing this as a bridge to whatever comes down the pipeline in the next few years.  I feel we are at a crossroads between mirrored and mirrorless just like we were a few years ago between film and digital.  So far the X100S has surpassed my expectations and is a fun tool.  Before making this decision, I looked through my vast stores of images and found most of my shots between 24 and 40mm (35mm equivalents).  Since I haven't invested in a good tele, my tele shots weren't very special, except a few very well composed ones.  I plan to get a wide angle converter soon to bring my down to 24mm.  I also tend to shoot when I'm out and about and that makes me lazy to change lenses anyway.  And when I'm hiking I tend not to make many lens changes either because I don't want to bog myself down with a bunch of equipment.  So over the years, I carry less and less.  And now, my D7000 with its light 16-85mm go in my light weight daypack with no case at all (just throw it in there).  So after some careful evaluation, I felt I would do better with the X100S than the NEX-6 (with or without kit lens, and with the CZ 24 or something like that).  The NEX-6 I felt would give me too much lens envy and I would end up complicating rather than simplifying my style.

I hope that stream of consciousness post makes sense.  I hardly post nowadays and just read.  Since I've been doing heavy research and evaluation in my transition to mirrorless, I thought I would chime in.  I was considering the NEX-6, OM-D and X100S.

-- hide signature --

-Jack
==================
http://blupic.com/show

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow