Accurately comparing FF vs APS-C sensor performance? An open discussion.

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,244Gear list
Like?
Re: You misunderstand
In reply to Klipsen, Apr 9, 2013

Klipsen wrote:

I  put the ~ there, because you can't have the same number of pixels and the same pixel size on the two formats, and both have an influence on the perceived DoF.

Pixel size doesn't matter when it comes to measuring DoF.  The sensor can be 12MP, 16MP, 24MP, or even 100MP, Dof will be the same.  But you are right that it makes it more or less perceptible, but it doesn't change DoF.

Actually, it's at shorter distances and wide apertures that the relative differences are most important.

Most important? Not necessarily.  Most perceptible, probably.  But it doesn't hide the fact that there is a difference in DoF due to a difference in the size of circle of confusion with each sensor size.

You are stating perception, I am stating the technical side.  Perception is .9 inches and 1.0 inch are the same, but technically they are not.  And while from afar that won't make much of a perceptual difference, it becomes more noticeable the closer you get.

Maybe I should have posted my examples in inches instead? Or perhaps cm or mm?

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow