To go full frame or not?

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,700
Like?
Re: Perspective of someone that has a Nikon D600 and a NEX-7
In reply to Nevada Landscapes, Apr 9, 2013

Nevada Landscapes wrote:

I bought the Nikon D600 and have no regrets at all. In fact, my high expectations were exceeded! The dynamic range of this camera is amazing. BUT, it all comes down to your goals in photography. I primarily shoot landscape & travel so a full-frame sensor (FX) has much to offer for me; higher dynamic range, less noise, higher sensitivity, a brighter optical viewfinder, and higher quality ultra-wide lens. FX also comes with a higher price tag for bodies and lenses as well as addition weight. I'm at that point in my photography that when I travel to exotic lands and our great national parks, I want the best possible image. I don't mind some extra size and weight (although the D600 is lighter and smaller than most other FX cameras). I have shoot for two years now with my NEX-7 and have enjoyed this camera - which I still own. When I want the best possible quality I grab the D600, when I want good quality (I'm sure someone will be offended by me classifying the quality as good, but this is in fact the case when shooing landscapes at dawn or dusk - which is what I do) and portability I take the NEX-7. BTW, when I want great portability and decent quality, I take my Sony RX100. So bottom line, it all depends on what your focus in in photography and where you are at in your journey as a photographer.

-- hide signature --

I'd agree with all that. I sell my landscape shots as well and over 80% are taken at dawn/dusk. Alhough I use an A900 for my FF. Most of my landscapes are taken of inland Australia travelling in a 4wd so the weight isn't an issue. If I am on a plane or general photography, its the nex every time but an RX100 is looking very very tempting as the Nex is often too big as well.
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow