Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,483Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses for photographing people...yes, but -- examples
In reply to richj20, Apr 9, 2013

richj20 wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Based on you experience, what lenses would you recommend for photographing people?

In reconsidering your question -- I didn't mean to be dismissive in my response. So, I'll go out on a limb with recommendations, based on my experiences:

• Outdoors: Panasonic 45-150mm
  • Indoors, with tripod: Panasonic 45-150mm
  • Indoors, hand held: Panasonic 20mm f/1.7; Panasonic-Leica 45mm f/2.8

Hiya Rich

Fine example, but rather than specific lenses, I would suggest that focal lengths/apertures would be more helpful to all.

I tend to go Oly f1.8 45 for most portraits, indoors or out -- it’s the focal length that matters -- with back-up from my second (of two, the other is the Panny 14) walk around lenses -- the Oly 40-150.

Nice work on the wide angle portraits -- you show excellent control of the distortion that naturally occurs -- makes me envious.

When I use the Panny 14 or the Oly 9-18 (at or very near the 9mm end) for portraiture I am either deliberately going for the distortion or backing off a bit to get a fair bit of "environment" in.

A few examples of mine:

Oly 45

Panny 14

Oly 40-150

Oly 45

Oly 9-18

40-150

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow